Saturday, August 19, 2006

Manono Island

Candice, Jacinta (a co-worker) and I went to Manono island with one of our year 9 students on Friday after school. We took a small boat for $2 each from our island to Manono. It was really windy and therefore had some really choppy waves. Because the boat was so small it was a little scary.







The island was fabulous. It was so beautiful that it was surreal. The only road is a sand one. The following restrictions make the island extremely peaceful: dogs, cars, noise. As soon as we got to our student's house, they fed us fresh fish. We talked for a while, took bucket showers (they don't have running water, only rain water) and went to bed. The cool breeze and peaceful atmosphere would have made for a good night's sleep, however one of the ladies sleeping in our fale was a very loud snorer. Shortly after waking up this morning, we ate breakfast and set out for our trip around the island, on foot of course!








The walk was incredible. I took so many pictures of the "road" because it varied between sand, forest and jungle. The ocean never left our sides. The island is inbetween the two main islands, but is in a location that you can see all the surrounding islands. I was in awe of God's creation and taken by the beauty and peace of it all. We completed our stroll in 1.5 hours.

If you plan on visiting me, I will definitely take you here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your pictures captured some of the peace and quiet beauty of this island.