Sunday, September 03, 2006

End of 2nd Term -

Yesterday (Thu. 8-31) was the final practical test for my year 13 students on MS Access. It was such a pleasure grading their tests because they did so well. I have noticed that some of them are working so hard on the activities and making sure that they get it right. I had a pep talk with some of them on Wednesday and had them declare that they were going to get 100%. They were so unsure of themselves until they proclaimed that they were going to do so well. From the results I see that their confidence helped them do better. It just warmed my heart to see how much confidence and improvement some of the girls have gained since the beginning of the year.

I woke up this morning with a big sigh of relief. Second term is finally over and I have just begun a two week break. I am also approaching my one-year anniversary of being here and I am shocked at how fast it has arrived. Our school was asked to sing at the funeral of a 4 year old boy who drowned on Saturday at Aggie Grey's resort. The boy is the nephew of two of our students. The staff was invited to be there as well. I went to support the students. The funeral was devastating, and I lost it when the father, only about 25 years of age, gave his eulogy and shared his trembling prayer saying that he understood that it was in God's will but that it was so hard to handle. I cannot even fathom the pain that they are dealing with.

No comments: