Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Good 'Ol Average Day

During my quiet time this morning, I prayed that today would be a good day. It started with our weekly staff briefing in which we had a lovely prayer and an actual briefing (usually it goes way behond the allotted 30 minutes). I then taught one of my year 13 classes MS Access. It has been about five years since I have created a database in Access, so I stumbled through some of the lesson I was teaching. My second year 13 class was much better (I avoided the mistakes that I made during the first one). My math class was fun. I enjoyed walking in the classroom and hearing the girls get excited to do math. We are working on plotting points on a Cartesian plane.

After school all of the year 13 teachers had a pow-wow to discuss how to go about implenting policies regarding late projects and reports. What is happening is that students are not turning in their assignments on the due date and are not being penalized by some teachers and being harshly penalized by others. Sister Pele wants to have a standard policy amongst all the year 13 teachers. This is one of the first times that I took the opportunity to speak up and it was great to see how receptive they were to my ideas. I actually felt like I was fulfilling my Peace Corps mission for the first time since I started working.

After school I felt like a taste of home, so I spent a couple of hours in the kitchen making a Meditteranean meal: Salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper); hummus (I mash the garbanzo beans with a glass and then add garlic, lemon juice, tahini and cumin); falafel and tabouleh (I bought box mixes when I was home a few months ago). It was such a treat to eat my favorite cuisine! I remember when I had cravings for this food to just get in my car and go pick it up at Jerusalem or Sahara, now I have to have it sent from home and have to make most of it on my own!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow..i see that you're teaching at St.Mary's. Hope youre having a great experience...both great and not so great! i'm an old student but i'd say i didn't get the best out from that during my days there but nonetheless thanks to my own hardwork & faith school life has paid off well so far!