Sunday, March 12, 2006

Return to Paradise


This past week was challenging on many different levels. In school, I was forced to re-evaluate my views on abuse and where the line should be drawn. There have been instances in which the students have been smacked by the teachers, and it is not an uncommon practice. By talking with the teachers that feel the necessity to bring things to that level on several occasions, I was a little discouraged. I see that the girls respect those teachers that they are afraid of, but believe there are other ways that they can discipline them without hitting them to get the same result. The challenge is discovering what those ways are and effectively encouraging the teachers to use them.

On Sunday, Pastor Samoa requested that the church fast during dinner time all week so that we can pray about all of the things that are going to happen this year at the church as well as praying for the upcoming election for the new Prime Minister. It wasn’t too difficult during the week, as there were many things going on during dinner time this week. On Tuesday I met up with Tara, one of the YWAM ladies that I became close with. Wednesday was a PTA meeting and then “home groups” at Peace Chapel, which is basically a Bible Study. Thursday was orientation for ENLI (Every Nation Leadership Institute), which is the Bible school that I have decided to attend. I am super excited for this Bible school, as I have wanted to learn more about my faith and what it means to be a disciple of Christ. On Friday night, our pule (principle) invited Candice and I to go swimming with her and a couple other nuns. They drove us to a private location and we swam around for a couple of hours, watching the sun set on the ocean.

Today I went to the beach with a friend from church and her “flat mates”. I was reminded of a revelation that I recently received. Pastor Samoa’s wife preached a sermon a few weeks ago about birthing dreams. She said that if the dream comes from God, it is something that we cannot do without His strength. If the dream is fulfilled with strength from the Lord, He is glorified. If, on the other hand, the dream is of our own, we can do it in our own strength and we receive the glory. Joining the Peace Corps and coming to Samoa was something that I was pretty hesitant about. I was concerned that if I did not discern whether or not it was the will of God, I would spend two years fulfilling my own dream and not His. During my prayers and searching, I was reminded about a desire that began to develop in me at least five years ago. I had been implanted with a dream to live on an island for two years. In fact, that was one of the signs that the Lord gave me to discern His will. As I was in the midst of God’s glorious creation – sitting on the rocks, waves crashing onto me while watching rain drops fall into the ocean, sparkling as the stars in the sky – all I could do is remember this dream that the Lord had given me. I praised Him with songs and thanksgiving. Knowing that this dream is of God gives me hope and joy because He is faithful to provide me with everything that I need to see it through.

1 comment:

kuaback said...

hey dats wea im from...
aawww...missin the islands like helll....
have a good one