
Some have asked, “Do they celebrate Christmas in Samoa?” and “Does Santa visit Samoa?” Although it did not feel like Christmas today with hot weather and without family, it was very much Christmas here in Samoa.
Marques came by at 8:45 to walk with me to Peace Chapel. We met up with Candice and they were singing “Did you hear the mountains tremble” and continued with “Blessed be the Name” as well as some of their own worship songs, including “Ia Fa’apaleina” – my favorite of their tunes. During the announcements, Pastor Samoa gave his phone number to the congregation and told us that we can call him for anything. The sermon was powerful. He reminded us that Christmas is a time to praise God for sending His glory down to earth and that without Jesus we have no hope. Life is meaningless without Him. He asked the YWAM group to come up and we extended our hands to pray for their outreach that they are leaving for this week. He then asked us to bring up our lists of things that we are grateful to Jesus for. He then prayed over the lists and we sang songs of jubilation. He blew out the one candle on the birthday cake for Jesus and we sang “Happy Birthday” three times. It was so neat, as I have never sang “Happy Birthday” to Jesus. He continued to pray, so hard that he brought to tears as he was praying. It was very emotional and joyous.
I said goodbye to the YWAM group and gave them my email address. We promised to keep in touch so that I can know how to pray for them. We saw our Peace Corps medical officer and gave her a big hug. As we were leaving, I formally greeted Pastor Samoa in Samoan and introduced him to Marques and Candice.
As we were walking back to my house, a car pulled over and offered us a ride. We got in and discovered that the generous couple were the directors of YWAM here in Samoa. I fed Marques and Candice and then we rode our bikes to the Peace Corps office to see if we had any mail. When we were about to leave it started pouring rain. I guess that was our Christmas present – we can’t have snow, but we can sure have rain! It wouldn’t let up, so we decided to bike back in the rain. It was a great experience! There were only a few cars on the road, and we ran over puddles as we got soaked by the rain.
Tonight was another celebration at Peace Chapel. I started walking over to the Church at 6:30 so that I could get there before it got dark. As I was walking down the street a group of men that had been drinking were walking toward me and a car was driving behind me. The car stopped, and a lady from New Zealand asked me if I was going to Peace Chapel and if I wanted a ride. I got in her car and she drove me to Church. Her name is Donna, the same as my mother. We hit it off immediately and she told me that she was a hairdresser at Aggie Grey’s (a very nice hotel in Apia).
The party for Jesus’ birthday continued as the youth of Peace Chapel put on a play about the life of Jesus that included beautiful singing and dancing. It lasted for a couple of hours and was followed by “tea” which means a full meal here in Samoa. Donna drove me home and gave me her work and home numbers. She said that she lives very close to me. She also introduced me to several people at Church – one of which invited me over to have lunch on New Year’s Day. I just want to take this opportunity to praise God for the immense amount of fellowship that He has provided and will continue to provide as my service in Samoa continues. Peace Chapel has accepted me as a sister and a daughter in Christ. The Spirit is moving in that Church Body and I am so fortunate to be a part of the family there.
1 comment:
Wow, Sara... your Christmas service seems so much more meaningful than the one I went to. I went to Parker Evangelical Pres with my family and it was a very by-the-numbers service. I was kind of disappointed, mainly because the pastor is usually so great and he doesn't usually pull punches. I wonder what the service at Grace was like...
The good thing is that my sister and brother-in-law were in town, so I got to spend a lot of time with them and my parents. Hopefully mentioning my family doesn't make you feel too homesick :)
Hang in there. I prayed for you last night.
Post a Comment