Friday, December 23, 2005

Fellowship at the Pastor’s House

I was going to stay home today, for the first time since I moved in. I then got a call from Ryan saying that the Chronicles of Narnia just came out in the theater and I could meet him there if I wanted to. Of course, I could not turn that idea down. Watching a movie in the Samoan theater is a great, as it is only 5 tala and the Samoans laugh at everything. I end up laughing because they are. The flick was fantastic, and I think I may just have to see a few more times.

I got home and my shower was flooded. It looked as if the pipes were clogged. Not knowing who to call, I called one of my trainers, as I remembered him mentioning that he was a plumber. I thought that he would come up and fix it for me and I would let him borrow my camera for a wedding that he is going to on Christmas in return. He proceeded to tell me that I was not in training anymore, and although he was joking, it was a sign that I need to let go of my training days and embrace my independence.

To take a shower, I filled up the bucket with water, wrapped myself in a lava lava and then stood outside, taking another invigorating bucket shower. I am quite proud of myself…I have learned how to take a shower under any circumstance!

I got ready to go to the pastor’s house of my new church with the YWAM team. I waited around and did not hear from them. As soon as I changed, figuring I wasn’t going to go, I heard a taxi outside honking his horn. I went out there and he asked for a “Sara” and told me to get in the car to go to the pastor’s house. I changed back into my clothes and got in the car. He took me to the pastor’s house and didn’t charge me a dime. I sat down and talked to the pastor about many things, including how much he admires Americans, how much I enjoy Peace Chapel, and I even got to practice my Samoan with him. When the YWAM group showed up, we went inside and ate BBQ chicken, ribs, hotdogs, palusami, taro, salad, pineapple, pizza, ice cream and chocolates. He gave me the family’s phone number and told me that he would like to have me and Marques over for lunch sometime after church. He also said that whenever I need anything I can call them. I felt very welcomed by him and feel very much a part of his family, the YWAM family and soon the Peace Chapel family. The YWAM kids are getting ready to go on their outreach next week, so I was able to talk to them about their upcoming adventures. We promised to email prayer requests to one another.

When I was deciding what to do with my life, I was throwing around options that included YWAM. I couldn’t understand why God was calling me into the Peace Corps, and sometimes doubted that He actually was (despite all the confirmations He provided). Meeting and hanging out with the YWAM group restores my confidence that God needs me in the Peace Corps, because He is providing fellowship with them and with a new church body. I am so blessed to have met them and feel privileged to be in their company.

No comments: