Friday, December 30, 2005

Painting Peace Chapel


Picture from the highest point on Island Cross Road

On Sunday Pastor Samoa told the congregation that he needed some help painting the Church. I offered my help, as I am pretty bored and miss working. I arrived at the Church office this morning and he and I started painting the school building.

At lunch time, we went to the office and ate some lunch. I felt pretty awkward sitting there not understanding any of the conversation. Again it reinforced to me the importance of learning the Samoan language fluently.

He offered to take me to the beach where the youth of the Church were staying for a retreat. He had to pick them up and I decided it would be a good opportunity to see another part of the island. I held on for my dear life as we drove across the island on a windy road called Island Cross Road. He was telling me that he wants to be a race car driver and was laughing as I was praying that I wouldn't die. It was quite amusing, to him anyway.

We got to the beach and I was able to talk to a few of the kids of the Church. I also met an Aussie guy who is a surf instructor and a member of Peace Chapel. I rode back with the pastor’s wife and had a good time getting to know her better.

Tonight we went to Brian and John’s house for chicken, spinach and mushroom lasagna. I saw Julya for the first time since we moved out on our own. It was good grub and good company. The group is going to meet up with the rest of the volunteers in Lalomanu for New Years Eve. Me, Candice and Charles are not going to go. I would rather not miss church and am looking forward to New Years lunch with a lady from Switzerland on Sunday.

No comments: