Thursday, October 13, 2005

Day One in Samoa

Our first day in Samoa:
Getting off the plane, I knew I was home. It was 2:45 in the morning, and there were three men playing music in the airport. We were greeted by the Peace Corps volunteers currently living in the country with lei's and hugs. We jumped on a bus with wooden seats and drove to our hotel.

'Ava Ceremony

Our training director, Salosi, explains what the 'ava ceremony represents: a thanksgiving offering to God for bringing us into the community and getting us here safely as well as welcoming us and making us a part of the Samoan family.

After the explanation, we went to the ceremony and after the Samoans talked for a while, we each got a taste of the 'ava (Kava). Once they bring the cup to you, you say "lua 'ava lea le Atua soifua", drop a little on the mat (an offering to God) and then take your drink. Your mouth and tongue gets a little numb.

First Impression:
The people are kind and when you tell them you are with the Peace Corps, they get a big smile on their face and do things to help ease your way around. The country is beautiful. The weather is warm and humid and therefore green and so colorful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara - Wow, I'm jealous for myself, thankful to God, and glad for you all at once. Is that possible?

Based on my own experiences of going to other countries/cultures I had kind of convinced myself that the beginning of your journey and service was going to be a little rocky. However, it's just awesome to hear how well things are going, and how you're already feeling comfortable there.

PS - I met with some LDS friends the other day and they told me all about kava kava. They were saying it tastes pretty nasty and that they have a lolipop ready to put in their mouth as soon as they stop drinking the stuff. Is it really that bad?

Anonymous said...

Well my #3 daughter is really moving on. Wendy and I are very proud of you and your faithful example. We can't wait to hear of how He is fulfilling your dreams.

Mike & Wendy

Sara said...

Steve - the 'ava (or Kava) is not that bad! I guess it's people that say it is so bad, and you have all these expectations for it to be bad and it is not!

Mike - you are going to make me cry again. So, when are you and Wendy going to come visit??

Love you all!