Tuesday, February 13, 2007

School Update

Before the school year started, I decided that I wanted to be more involved with school activities, my homeroom class, etc. I am an assistant homeroom teacher for one of the year 11 classes. The main teacher has been sick for over a week now, so I had to learn what my job was the hard way. There are many rules that I was unaware of: the students are assigned to cleaning areas and are supposed to clean in the morning and afternoon; students that are late are supposed to pay $1; prayer is supposed to happen at a certain time; etc. I finally found out the details today (apparently you have to ask the right questions :P) and decided to talk to the house captains (the leaders of the class) and have them control the other students to make sure that they do their cleaning duties and don’t leave without doing them…if they leave, they are supposed to tell me their names. This will help me during the time that I don’t know their names.

My year 10 students are really cute. Can you imagine students that have never touched a computer? That is how some of these students are. On the other hand, there are others that are as experienced as some of my year 13 students! With some students I have to literally hold their hand as they try to use the mouse, others roll their eyes when I try to explain to them how to save something. My first assignment for them is for them to draw a keyboard on a piece of construction paper and then color-code it according to which finger they are supposed to use to type.

No comments: