Sunday, April 16, 2006

Reflection Day

Wednesday was the last day of school before the Easter Holiday (we have Thursday, Friday and Monday off for Easter). We were supposed to spend the morning with our homeroom classes to have reconciliation and a “Last Supper”. I am an assistant teacher for Year 9 Tilafaiga (which is also my math class).

I asked the form teacher if I could prepare the agenda for the day. We decided that I would play the part of Jesus. I first chose 12 disciples and had them sit in a circle. The form teacher read from the Bible while I washed the feet of my disciples. Each time I went to a student I looked them in the eye and gave them a smile. It was really rewarding to be humble and serve them. At the end, I read from the Bible in John where Jesus explains what He did. I asked them to reflect on what it meant.


We then had a Last Supper. I performed the ceremony with my 12 disciples and then had them distribute the bread and juice to the rest of the class. After receiving communion we prayed silently with the Passion of the Christ music in the background. I heard many sniffles (including my own)!

I then got up and talked to the girls about the suffering and death of Jesus. I began by talking about the intense mental and spiritual anguish that Jesus experience in the Garden of Gethsemane. I went on and talked about the physical and emotional suffering that He experienced during His passion. I ended by talking about the glorious resurrection and how His death would have been meaningless if He had not risen from the dead. I told them that because He has risen from the dead, we have everlasting life when we die with Him. It was the first time that I talked about the Gospel message in front of a big group of people. I know that God was speaking through me – Praise GOD!!

Last year at Grace Chapel we did something that I will never forget. We wrote down the sin that we are most grateful that Jesus forgave us for and nailed it to the cross. I will always remember the sound of the nails being hammered into the cross. Every time I heard the nail going into the cross I thought of Jesus and all the sins that were nailed to the cross with Him. I had the girls do the same thing, and it was beautiful once again.



The form teacher led the reconciliation. She had the girls grab a candle and bring it to someone that they have hurt and ask for forgiveness. Three different girls came to me with the candle. I then got up and told the whole class that I was sorry for not being able to speak their language and for giving hard tests (I also told them I was kidding about the second one).


Today I bonded deeply with the girls and praise the Lord for answering my prayer to give me such a profound love for them.

No comments: