
I just finished my first week of teaching and it was challenging to say the least. I was intially shocked by the girls standing and saying "Good morning Miss Monroe" before class began and "Thank you Miss Monroe and have a good day" when class ended, but I began to enjoy it. I loved seeing the girls' beautiful smiles and their enthusiasm to learn.
I am teaching year 9 Math. I have two classes with about 50 students in each class. They each meet four times per week. I am teaching adding and subtracting integers and it has been difficult. I also found that some of the girls don't know their multiplication and division tables, so it is going to take patience. I had many nights of poor sleep trying to come up with new ways to teach the material so that they would get it.
I also have two year 13 Computer classes. That has been much easier because I am more familar with the material.
By the end of the week, I got sick - a cold - from all the stress. I realized that it was a reminder from God to not try to do this with my own strength, but to seek strength from Him. Teaching is definately not something that comes natural to me, so I know that I won't be able to do it without Him.
2 comments:
Sounds just like 9th grade algebra stateside (skillwise at least-I'd pay good money to be greeted each morning with "Good morning Mr. McKnight"). I recall some of my first week teaching freshmen algebra. I was a mess - it does get better. Praying for you...
Roger
Hi Roger,
Thanks for your prayers! They are working and much needed. You should have your kids greet you the Samoan way...it is really nice ;-)
Post a Comment