Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Papase’ea Sliding Rocks


Last week, Cyclone Urmil came close to the Island and fortunately passed us by. As a result of it being so close, all week there were heavy rainstorms and fierce winds. It was very difficult to make any plans because the rain could easily start pouring down at any given time. I took a chance and invited our group to take a bike ride to the famous Papase’ea Sliding Rocks on Saturday. We were blessed as Saturday was the first day in a week that the sun came out for the full day. John, Candice, Holly and I rode our bikes up the mountain road to the rocks (actually Holly rode up half way, parked her bike at a taxi station and took a taxi up the hills). We met up with Mari and Andrew and had a blast playing in the rough waters and enjoying the beautiful falls surrounded by lush rainforests.

On Sunday Holly was going to meet me at my house and we were going to walk to the Peace Chapel evening service. By 6 PM she didn’t show so I walked over to the church. I was the only palagi there, so the service was mainly in Samoan, but it was an incredible time of worship and praise. The Spirit was moving fiercely in that Body. During the final song a pastor came up to me and told me that my friend was waiting outside for me. I went out there and saw Holly. Apparently she was looking for a taxi, couldn’t find one and ended up walking the whole way (two hour walk). I introduced her to Pastor Samoa and he invited us over to his house for tea. I met a couple of ladies from New Zealand that just moved here to teach at the Peace Chapel Primary School. They are amazing women and we talked about doing a Bible Study together. Again, God amazes me on His continual answering of prayers for fellowship!

We dropped off a girl, and as she was getting out (unbeknownst to Holly), kicked out Holly’s bag that included all her money, her camera and her keys to get into her place. Holly didn’t realize until we got to the Pastor’s house that her bag was missing. It was hard for her to enjoy her time there, so after we ate and hung out for a while he asked David to take her and I back to the house where the girl was dropped off so we could look for her bag. I was praying that it was there, and sure enough it was on the ground! David drove her home and serenaded us with his impression of Shaggy as well as songs from Coldplay and John Mayer.

No comments: