I think I am one of the last in our group to start work, but today was my first day. We met in the teacher’s lounge at 8:30 AM. To my surprise, we started promptly at 8:30 (apparently that is not common in Samoa). The principle is new this year, but is a returning principle from ten years ago. She introduced me and a couple of other teachers that are going to be new this year. She met with us individually to talk about what we are going to be teaching.
I am going to be teaching Year 13 Computer Studies as well as Year 9 Maths. There are only four hours per week for Year 13 Computer Studies, so that is why I offered to teach Maths as well. I am also going to be an assistant to another teacher who is going to be Year 9 “homeroom” leader. I guess forum (aka homeroom) is where the students meet in the morning, take roll, say the Morning Prayer and then again before it is time to leave. When she is unavailable, I will run the forum.
The teachers sat around and talked in Samoan. I didn’t understand anything and felt like I should do something, so I went to the computer lab and cleaned it up a bit. Afterwards, I went back to the staff room and the teachers were still sitting around. I didn’t feel like I could be of any use, so I went home and took a shower. Ryan called and I told him to come by so that we could go pick up our packages. As soon as I told him to come by, one of the teachers came over and told me that we were going to be eating lunch together. As we were eating, Ryan came by and they invited him in. We left, and I felt weird because I didn’t know if I should stay. It’s one of those things where they tell you it’s okay but they may not really think it’s okay. It was 12:45 and we were supposed to be done at 1:00. I asked them what time to be there tomorrow and we are going to be meeting at 8:00 tomorrow. I hope that we do more than sit around and chat!
Ryan and I picked up our packages and I got a great package from my parents. It included a pillow (they are awful here), a washcloth, a 1.0GB jump drive, a dog dazer (to deter those nasty stray dogs while riding my bike), and a headset to chat with my family over the internet (Google talk rules!), an alarm clock, clothes, some snacks and goodies. Wow, there is no feeling like receiving a package from home! You feel so special, loved and appreciative! Thanks mom and dad for your continued love from home. I will never be able to express to you the gratitude that I feel for your kindness. I pray that you will be blessed tenfold for each item that you send with such care!
I went to the gym and then showered and Leta (a guy from church) and I went to the Aggie Grey’s fiafia night. They had songs, dancing and then ended the show with fire dancing. It was great, and well worth the $55 per person. After the show they served us dinner with many Samoan dishes. I tried sea urchin for the first time and did not like it.
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment