Friday, January 27, 2006

Day Two of Work

My second day of work was a little discouraging. Again, I sat in the staff room while the teachers spoke to each other in Samoan. I felt a little left out and quite bored. As soon as the principle gave us the logistics of Monday they told me I could go. I was the only one who left. I went home and one of the teachers came over and asked me if she could use my bathroom. When she was finished she asked me if she could borrow some money. I didn’t let her, fearing that it would become a regular habit. From what I’m told, most people here think that we are rich because we come from America (I guess they don’t understand that we are volunteers and really don’t make much more than they do). I am having a hard time where I live; as it is right on the school grounds and I feel that I have little privacy. We Americans value our privacy, but it is not common here in Samoa.

I met up with Candice and we went for a bike ride. We vented to each other and decided that we needed comfort food – pizza! We rode to Georgie’s Pizza in the pouring rain. It was fun, but we were soaked. After we ate, we rode to the Peace Corps office to check our mail. I got a letter and package from Mike (papalua). The CD has all the sermons from Grace Chapel that I have missed since I left. It was just what I needed, and arrived at the perfect time (isn’t God great)!

I got home and decided that I needed some more comfort food, so I baked some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I took a shower and listened to the first sermon I missed. It was about emotional peace. Pastor Paul preached about depending and trusting in God in order to attain complete peace in mind, body and soul. I felt as if God was speaking directly to me about my situation through the sermon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, I am so sorry this is rough. It is too bad your Internet wasn't working well such that it prevented us from Google chatting this night when you were baking.