Saturday, December 17, 2005

First Full Day on My Own


I don’t have an alarm clock, and I had a Google Talk date with my dad at 7:30 AM, so I went to bed early the previous night to ensure that I would be up on time. I walked to the Internet café, which was supposed to open at 7 AM and waited until 7:30 AM for her to open the store (this is the way of the island life – lol).

After spending some time online, Candice and I went to do some home shopping. The Peace Corps gave each of us (ST) 450 for our moving in allowance. I already spent 115 on a desk fan so that I could bear the heat in my bedroom. I bought some more little items for my home and then bought some food to start cooking. We walked home and then decided that if Candice came by my place by 4 PM we would bike back to town and go to the market to buy some vegetables. She showed up on her bike with a papaya in her backpack (Candice and Charles have an ample amount of fruit trees at their house – Starfruit, Papaya, Mango, Lime, etc.) I got on my bike and we rode to town. We are having so much fun riding our bicycles. We are even considering starting a bicycle gang. I am trying to come up with a name for my ride, so if you have any ideas, let me know. I am actually happy that the Peace Corps has a no-driving policy. It allows me to get the exercise I need by walking and riding my bike.

Shopping at the market was frustrating because I had no idea where to begin. I ended up buying a cucumber, tomatoes and an onion. I went to a grocery store and found Red Bull and splurged the 7.50 for a can. It really hit the spot!

Marques showed up around 5 PM to come see my place. We sat around and chatted for a bit and it was a good time of fellowship. Later that night I made a salad Tunisian style – cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. It was so amazing and fulfilled my desire for fresh veggies. I also cooked up some spaghetti – palagi style. It was also very good and I thank my mother for forcing me to cook while I was growing up. It will surely come in handy out here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Lovelle (my name is Marcos). I've read it all.