Monday, October 24, 2005

Julya’s Birthday

Today is Julya’s birthday and because she was away from her family we decided to make it really special for her. Our training director, Silao, brought a cake for morning tea, and we showered her with gifts and a happy birthday song in Samoan.

I found out that I will be working at St. Mary’s College which is in Apia, the capital city. St. Mary’s is an all-girls school and has very talented, smart women. I am very pleased with my assignment.

Julya’s father went around to all of our host parent’s houses and invited us over to their house for a birthday party for Julya. We all went over to her house and the village pastor came over and read a Bible verse and gave a short sermon about Joseph and how he was at the bottom of the pit and sought refuge in God. It was exactly what she needed to hear. We all ate cake and ice cream and then danced. After dancing they brought out dinner. It was a great birthday for her and I’m so glad that everyone did their best to make it special for her. I’m sure it was hard for her to be away from her family on her birthday.

John, a fellow trainee, and I walked home with our host mothers. It was pitch black and I could not see anything in front of me, but the stars were absolutely incredible. The Milky Way was so bright and clear. All I could do was praise God for His wonderful creation!

No comments: