Monday, January 22, 2007

Natural Disasters

How fabulous it was to be reunited with my Samoan spiritual family on Sunday. There were a few people that I just wrapped my arms around even though it is not fa’aSamoa (the Samoan way) – they just do a cheek-to-cheek kiss. Praise was nothing less than anointed and spirit-filled. After service I got to go “home” to celebrate Toana’I (Sunday brunch) with Pastor Samoa and his family. Sally and Julya got to be guests, while Janita and I helped serve and ate second with the kids (which may sound crazy, but I consider a privilege). I can’t remember the last time that I had lunch at their house, in fact I couldn’t even remember where the glasses were :-O

Today was the kickoff to our school year and I was so excited to see the girls. It was orientation for years 12 and 13. We finished at noon and then Candice and I headed to the Peace Corps office so I could go give my PCMO a big hug. We sat in her office and she told me about the cyclone that is heading towards Samoa. I gave her my cell phone number and then a few hours after I got home, I got a call from her telling me that we are on the first stage of our emergency action plan: the stand fast stage. Apparently we are currently in a cyclone depression. How funny that I went from one natural disaster to another? I thought that leaving blowing snow for a tropical island would be a relief; however I have only gone from one natural disaster to another ;)

No comments: