Sunday, July 09, 2006

Work Challenges

Because the funeral got postponed to a school day, only year 11 went to the funeral and all the other classes carried on as usual. As a result, I did not get to experience a Samoan funeral.

School has been quite challenging lately on a different level. It's not so much the teaching anymore, as I have let God take control of that. It is now an issue with my counterpart. He teaches computer studies for years 10 and 11. We share year 12 and I teach year 13. We received six computers - one from the Peace Corps and five brand new ones (that St. Mary's purchased). The teachers needed a new computer, so I suggested the Peace Corp one, as it has a floppy drive and the others don't. His response was "well it doesn't play DVDs" and I asked him why it needed to play DVDs. He said that it should in case we need to read the students work on a CD. I told him that it does read CDs. It was obvious that he wanted the teachers to have a computer that has a CD burner and plays DVDs. The purpose? I'm sure it is so he can "ka'a" (do something that he shouldn't be doing) instead of teaching. I am really quite fed up with him. He uses the monitor of one of the student's computer so he can plug in his computer to play games. He rarely teaches his students - he has them work on their typing skills so that he can do whatever he pleases. He used all the ink for our only printer to print tickets for a nightclub. When I asked him what they were for, he said they were for school. I later found out he was lying. He occasionally does not show up for school and doesn't call to let us know that he isn't going to be in. He says he was sick, but people saw him drunk at the nightclub the night before he missed school.

As mentioned before, we share year 12. This week we had to write comments on the report cards for the students. He asked me if I could do it. I told him that I think it would be best if we did it together because we share the class. He took off right after school and did not say anything to me so I had to do it on my own. It is probably better that way anyway...seeing as how he doesn't really care about his job and thus the students.

No comments: